Did you know about the ‘More Choice, more appointments’ service in Doncaster? Led by an organisation called Primary Care Doncaster, this service, previously known as Extended Access provides 160 extra hours of GP and nurse appointments per week at times we know many people struggle to book.
The ‘More Choice, More Appointments’ service operates at many locations across Doncaster and is available for anyone to access and use. It includes:
- Three Practice based Saturday Morning Hubs with Nurse and GP appointments
- First2Physio Triage Service Doncaster wide with a mix of virtual and face to face appointments, some of which are practice based in the East of the borough
- Same Day evening and weekend virtual and face to face GP and ANP appointments based at Devonshire House, on South Parade in the centre of Doncaster.
In addition to this, Doncaster practices and patients are being provided with some additional support whilst primary care is in the planned recovery phase of the pandemic with the provision of:
- Additional Nursing provision based in 3 centrally located practices providing Cytology and virtual Asthma reviews
- Health Bus with the Roving GP providing minor illness consultations on the move across the borough
- Inclusion Health, providing support to those patients with complex lives, homeless, addiction issues, those newly released from prisons and young families with small children, in various different locations in Doncaster.
Patients are always advised to contact their own registered practice first for an appointment but if your local practice doesn’t have an appointment at a time to suit you, ask the reception staff about these additional appointments that are available to everyone. They can book you into most of these appointments directly! This probably won’t be with your usual practice but it does mean you can see a GP or nurse to discuss your health and care needs.
The Health Bus service is a drop in so have a look out on social media and ask at your practice for the locations and time of this part of the service.
One aim of the service is to try and get the patient in to the right clinician and the right time, so if for example you are suffering with back, muscle or joint pain, you can request an appointment to see a First2Physio qualified clinician who will provide you with an assessment to review your pain and signpost you to the most appropriate service or treatment within a couple of days, if not sooner! (However this is not a physiotherapy service) No need for a GP appointment first, just ask your practice to book you straight in!
The ‘More Choice, More Appointments’ service is helping to reduce waiting times for appointments and puts you in control. If you work full time, work away or are a carer for someone and can’t access the practice appointments between 8am and 6pm then ask for More Choice and More Appointments, they’re here waiting for you!
More information about the Health Bus – where it will be heading
The Health Bus will take to the road on a weekly basis until the end of March 2021. Further information is available here.
Here’s where the bus will be heading – these dates, times and locations may be subject to change; please watch this space for changes or additional locations which will continue to be added:
Asda Supermarket, Carcroft, Asda, Doncaster, DN6 8DN
- 30 September, 1 and 2 October 2020
Hilltop Centre, Edlington, Doncaster, DN12 1PL
- 7, 8 and 9 October 2020
- 13, 14 and 15 October 2020
- 21, 22 and 23 October 2020
Lakeside shopping outlet, White Rose Way, Doncaster, DN4 5PJ, parked outside Marks and Spencer:
- 26 and 30 October 2020
- 4, 5 and 6 November 2020
- 11, 12 and 13 November 2020