World Mental Health Day 2021
On Sunday 10 October we marked World Mental Health Day where each year people unite to raise awareness of mental health issues and encourage people to talk. The day traditionally offers opportunities for all of us to look at ways to support our own mental health and that of friends and family who might be struggling.
According to the World Health Organisation, mental health has been one of the most overlooked areas of our nation’s public health. Globally, one in every four people are living with a mental health problem; three million people die every year from the harmful use of alcohol; and one person dies every 40 seconds by suicide.
As we all know the last 18 months have been tough for everyone and that’s why it’s more important than ever that we are kind to ourselves and to each other and that we take care of our physical and mental wellbeing as we adjust to new ways of living and working.
Everyone in Doncaster can access wide a range of services that provide help and support for common mental health problems such as anxiety, low mood and depression and help is available for people in crisis through a self-referral process online or over the phone.
We are committed to ensuring that people in Doncaster can access mental health support when they need it. We have recognised the challenges that many people have faced as a result of COVID. We continue to work closely with a wide range of partners to support local people to remain resilient and get the help they need when they need it.
It is important to remember if you are feeling anxious, worried or low in mood that you can speak to someone. It really does help to talk and to share your concerns and worries. Help is available, so please come forward and access the support you need so you feel better in yourself. Everyone deserves to feel good.
Over the weekend we have been sharing useful mental health guidance on our Twitter and Facebook channels and we’ll continue to do so in the coming days.
Here is a list of some the services available in the Doncaster area:
- IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies)https://iapt.rdash.nhs.uk
- Doncaster: 01302 565556
- Free for people who feel they need help and support for anxiety.
- Doncaster Talking Shop
- Call: 01302 565650
- Free for people over 18 who need knowledge and support about talking therapies, which include cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and IPT/ Counselling.
- Doncaster Mind
- Call: 01302 812190 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support for people experiencing mental health difficulties, including personal wellbeing and recovery advice and information.
- Doncaster Rethink https://rethink.org
- Call: 0808 8010442
- 24/7 emotional support and information to people effected by mental illness, age 16 and over who live in Doncaster.
- Doncaster Samaritans
- Call: 116 123
- Open 24/7
- Doncaster Community Hub www.dncommunityhub.org.uk
- Call: 01302 430300
- Open 7 days a week from 8am-8pm.
- Doncaster Adult Social Services and Wellbeing
- Call: 01302 737391
- Open 8.30am- 5pm Monday – Friday.
- Doncaster Single Point of Access
- Call: 01302 566999
- A 24/7 service providing assessments to identify the most appropriate needs and services to support individuals.
- Doncaster Alcohol Services
- Call: 01302 360090
- Support available to help you or someone you know Monday to Friday between 9am – 5pm.
- Aspire Drug & Alcohol Services in Doncaster
- Call: 01302 730956
- A single point of access designed to provide advice, support and signposting.
- Doncaster Children’s Services Trust
- Call: 01302 734 100
- If you have a concern about a child call: 01302 734100 between 8.30am – 5pm Monday-Friday
- CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services)
- Call: 01302 796191
- Providing assessment, therapy and interventions for children and young people up to the age of 18.
- Doncaster School Nursing (Age 5-19)
- Call: 01302 566776 or Text 07917 031891
- Offering support and advice for young people and their families. Open Monday – Friday 9am-5pm.
- Young Minds https://youngminds.org.uk/
- Text: YM to 85258 – Providing 24/7 urgent and crisis support